Kompu-Kim's Computer Services
Kim Meyer, Certified Instructor
COMPUTER LITERACY OUTLINE
1. Getting Familiarized With Your Computer "The DOS Family Tree" and the "Giant File Cabinet". Understanding the general structure of your hard drive.
2. How to interpret & translate a path/filename
(e.g. C:\MY DOCUMENTS\LETTERS\CUSTOMER)
3. What is DOS? What is the difference between DOS & Windows? What is the differences between files and subdirectories (folders)? What you Need to Know From an Operator's Point of View. Moving Around Within DOS. Basic DOS Commands.
4. General Disk Information: (Size, Density, Capacity)
(What is Formatting? )
5. Subdirectories (Listing, Creating, Changing & Removing)
6. How to Find the Program Run Name within a Sub-Directory Folder.
7. Wildcards, Classifiers & Switches
8. What to do "if all else fails" -- REBOOTING! (e.g. Don't know how to get out of a program or keyboard/mouse does not respond???) .
* Note: Managing Files will be covered in the Windows File Management class since it is much easier to manage your files from Windows.
INTRODUCTION TO WINDOWS XP
2 hour session
1. The 3 Elements of the Desktop
( Icons, Background/Wallpaper, Taskbar)
2. Overview of Windows Explorer “The Modern DOS”
3. The True Beginning.
4. Structure of Windows “The Big Picture”
5. The Purpose of “My Computer”
6. How many mirror images are there?
7. Tieback to DOS “Oh, I could have had a V8, this is all starting to come together!”
WINDOWS XP (ENVIRONMENT/NAVIGATION)
2 HOUR SESSION
1. Customizing Your Desktop:
a) Creating & Renaming Folders.
b) Creating ShortCuts for Folders and Programs.
2. Starting & Exiting Your Programs from Windows XP
& Getting Out when you are Locked Up.
3. Sizing & Relocating Your Windows
4. When to Left Click & When to Right Click (Once or Twice?)
5. Minimizing and Maximizing your Windows
6. Brief Overview of Fax and Internet.
7. Printing the Screen from Windows and Installing a CD.
8. To Install a CD.
9. To Change Wallpaper, ScreenSavers and Color Settings
10. Basic Theory When Typing in a Dialog Box.
11. To Check Disk Space and Run ScanDisk
WINDOWS XP FILE MANAGEMENT
2 Hour Session
1. Getting Around In Windows Explorer.
(Expanding & Collapsing Your Branches)
2. Moving, Copying & Deleting a Single File
3. Moving, Copying & Deleting Multiple Files
(Consecutive & Non-Consecutive)
4. Moving, Copying & Deleting All Files From
One SubDirectory to Another.
5. Formatting a Disk and Other Disk Functions
in the Windows Explorer.
6. Creating a New Sub-Directory.
7. Renaming a Files & Folders
8. Backing up and Archiving Data to a Disk.
Send mail to
email@example.com with questions or comments about this web site.